Monday, May 19, 2008

Index of My Hubberstey Posts

Hubberstey Family History (Hubbersty too!)

This is the old version of the site. I have redone many of the posts in a hopefully more readable format. To get to the new front page - click HERE.

Complete list and brief description of all the posts on this blog. (Note: If you are having trouble sorting through the information drop me an e-mail and I will try and point you in the right direction).

1. Way Back - Yealand Conyers: A look back at one of the earliest clusters of Hubbersteys that is available to us from church records. Yealand Conyers is in the Lancaster area.

2. The Quakers and a few Hubbersteys: Two of the early members of the Quakers (the Valiant 60) were Hubbersteys. There are connections to Kendal and Yealand Conyers.

3. The 1200's and Hubberstey Head: Hubberstey Head near Kendal seems to point to the earliest Hubbersteys, although possible as "Ubberstede"

4. Hubbersteys at Samlesbury 1: One of the earliest detailed descriptions of a Hubberstey lineage is of the line coming out of Samlesbury/Brindle (between Preston and Blackburn).

5. Hubbersteys at Samlesbury 2: We use the information in the previous post to start filling in the details on the Samlesbury line.

6. Samlesbury 3: We look at 7 of the children of Robert Hubberstey and Mary Watson (married Feb 12, 1767)

7. Samlesbury 4: The story of Thomas, the 8th child of Robert Hubberstey and Mary Watson. This is the line that eventually leads to me.

8 Samlesbury 5 - Destination Canada: Two separate lines emanating from Thomas ended up emigrating to Canada.

9. Links to the USA (Rewritten Dec 2008): There are some Hubbersteys in the USA. Here we try to find out where they came from.

10. The 1901 census: The 1901 is the latest census for which we have data. I have included some statistics on the 141 Hubbersteys that I have found so far in the 1901 census records.

11. The Wirksworth Connection: This post looks at a different line of Hubberstys, one that was centered in Wirksworth for quite some time, and originally seems to have come from the Kendal area.

12. Cambridge University links: There are records of 9 Hubbersteys attending Cambridge University prior to 1900. We look at these 9 individuals.

13. London Calling: This post traces a line of Hubbersteys that started in Fallen Yew/ Underbarrow and ended up in London for a while.

14. North Preston 1 - John and Isabella - Robert and Jane: Returning to the Preston area we start to look at lines other than the Samlesbury line. In this post we look at the offspring of John and Isabella Waiton, namely Robert Hubberstey b. 1787.

15. North Preston 2 - John and Isabella: In this post we look at the offspring of John and Isabella Weaton (who may be the same as in the prior post). The post centers on the descendants of Thomas b. 1803.

16. North Preston (3) John and Anne Swarbrick (Updated Feb./2009): This entry follows the descendants of John Hubberstey and Anne Swarbrick. Although this is a North Preston line, it may be related to the Samlesbury line as well.

17. North Preston 4 - Whittingham Line: Here we begin to look at the children of 2 Hubbersteys and 2 Bambers from the Whitingham/Goosnargh area.

18. North Preston - Whittingham (M) Line: We follow the children of James and Margaret, and their children through to 1901.

19. North Preston - Whittingham (A) Line: We follow the children of John and Alice, and their children through to 1901.

20. 1901 Census, roll forward of males under 40 (Aloysius to James). I try and trace the younger males forward in time from the time of the 1901 census. The names are in alphabetical order, and provide a lineage link, so if you know an ancestor on this list you can trace the relationship back using the pages above.

21. 1901 census roll forward of males under 40 (John - Richard).


22. 1901 census roll forward of males under 40 (Robert to William).


23. Was James of James and Anne swarbrick the son of Robert and Mary (Watson)?:

24. Was Isabella Weaton the same person as Isabella Waiton? : I have tried to assemble all the evidence that I can find to look at whether the two Isabellas were the same person. If so then we can join two of the Hubberstey lines..

25. Garstang to Samlesbury?: While looking at the old Garstang records I found that Robert Hubberstey from Brindle (our start to the Samlesbury line) was buried in Gartstang.

26. The 1911 census: A total of 164 entries show up for Hubberstey (and the spelling variants).

27. Some fun stuff: Odds and ends and interesting tidbits.

more soon...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am descendent of Isabella Hubbarstay, married Charles Clement Farnsworth 1826 Ecclesfield Yks. Census shows her born Preston Lancs. I think she was daughter of John and Eliz Horn - born 1804. Wondering if you have any info on this family?

GreeneTimes said...

That is an interesting question. It seems that John Hubberstey and Elizabeth Horn had quite a few children, but I think (based on some burial records in 1799) that they lost quite a few when they were quite young.

I have not been able to trace any Hubbersteys forward from John and Elizabeth (maybe because they had mostly daughters). What I am still trying to do is to try to trace back from John. I do know that John married Elizabeth in Woodplumpton in 1782.

There was another John (and possibly 2) also married to Isabellas living very close by at the same time. For example the John and Isabella Waiton line had children baptized at the same church as John and Elizabeth (Horn)! I will do some more digging and see what I come up with. You can also e-mail me at chrishubberstey@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

i am lisa hubberstey, grandaughter of john hubberstey whos mum was mary, from preston, think maybe meadowside road where she owned a confectionary. she had a sister called nellie and maybe brothers, i dont know much as my grandad was put in an orphanage from birth on the wirral, but thats a whole other story. i do know she was a strict catholic and i have been left with a huge bible with names and dates of lots of hubbersteys going back years & years, this may help you in some ways i am sure. we still live on the wiral and in total there are 12 of us and we would be very glad to find more. need any more information my email address is lhubberstey22@hotmail.com or you can find me on facebook, lisa hubberstey. speak soon x x x

Kit said...

My name is Catherine Hubberstey Craniey, the daughter of Wilfred Hubberstey and Veronica McCarthy. I know very little about my father's family. He emigrated from England or Scotland to Canada when he was about 17 years old with his family and entered the US in Detroit, Michigan. My grandfather's name was Richard and I believe my grandmother was Jane Conner of Ayrshire, Scotland. My father's brother was named Charles. My grandfather ultimately owned a dairy farm in the Jacksonville, Florida, area. He had two daughters, who would be my first counsins. I do not know their names. I would appreciate any information anyone could supply regarding my family and its connection to other Hubbersteys.

GreeneTimes said...

Hi Catherine,

Great to hear from you.

I should be able to help you, but from what you have said I do not have any matches yet. Maybe we can start with some dates if you have them. That will help me narrow down the areas I am looking in.

The one thing we do know is that with the "Hubberstey" spelling (with the "e") that you are very likely from the Lancashire/Preston area lines.

My e-mail is chrishubberstey@gmail.com (now fixed).

Chris

GreeneTimes said...

Hi Catherine

A bit more. I do have what I think is their emigration dates...I have an R. Hubberstey (b.1879), a J. Hubberstey (b.1879) and a W. Hubberstey (b.1905) leaving Liverpool for Quebec in 1921. These dates seem to fit. The problem now is trying to go further back, as the dates do not match up with anything that I have so far. I will keep looking.

Chris

GreeneTimes said...

...and a bit more. No wonder I did not have them in my record.

At 1901 Richard (then 30) and Jane (then 22) were living in Glasgow (Bridgeton), Scotland at 16 Carstairs street, where Richard was a wire reed maker. They are listed as "Hubbershey".

In 1891 Richard W (age 22) was listed as the son of Richard and Elizabeth, living at home in Preston and working as a reed maker - so even though the ages are off a bit, the profession matches.

So...the primary link for you is

http://more-greene.blogspot.com/2008/05/north-preston-john-and-isabella-2.html

You might also want to look at

http://more-greene.blogspot.com/2008/06/was-isabella-weaton-same-person-as.html

and

http://more-greene.blogspot.com/2008/05/north-preston-robert-and-jane-1.html

Please send me an e-mail at chrishubberstey@gmail.com as I also have a family tree file that I am working on for that line that you might like to have - it allows you to have a picture of what you are looking at.

Chris

GreeneTimes said...

Hi Catherine,

A bit more for you. I suspect the reason you have not found your Florida relatives is that they may be using a slightly different spelling. It appears that they use Hubbersty. If so then did Charles marry Esther (Hattie)?

Anonymous said...

Hi Catherine,

My sister Jean and I are your first cousins. Our father was Charles Hubberstey and our grandfather Richard had a dairy in Jacksonville, Florida. We grew up in Jacksonville.

In doing our genealogy research the past 2-3 years, we found ships that our Uncle Wilfred worked on until 1945. The last ship we found him on was the Mary Pickersgill and he was 40 years old at that time. We also found the ship that your father and our grandparents went to Canada on.

My sister found your comment on the blog and has been trying to get in touch with you by e-mail or phone, with no success.

My name is Esther Hubberstey Everly and my e-mail address is john-everly@comcast.net.

We would like to communicate with you and share family information back and forth.